I’ve spent the past two days working 12 hour shifts at the hospital for my last quarter of nursing school, and in that time I’ve been reminded that my interests aren’t exactly the same as the average public. Take this exchange at the nurse station:
A nurse: So, do you work while going to school?
Me: Well, kinda. I work from home as a blogger.
All the nurses around me: *blank stares*
Another nurse: What’s that?
Me: Um, you know…writing about your life or a specific topic on the internet? Creating communities around shared interests?
All the nurses around me: Oh, uh, OK…don’t know what you’re talking about…mumble mumble…Hey, there’s a hockey game tonight, right?
I keep forgetting that not everyone likes to blog and share parts of their lives online. In fact, the average public may know about blogs, but I’m still on the geek edge of society.
I’ll admit to having some pretty varied interests that some might call strange. Some things you may or may not know about me:
- I’m an internet geek, but I’ve been known to dress up in medieval clothing. At one point I decorated my living room with tapestries and swords on the wall.
- I still like cartoons as well as sci-fi TV shows, and I love video games when I get the chance to play them. (You should have heard me squeal with glee when I got my new Nintendo DSi.)
- I can’t cook and I’m a lousy housekeeper, but I can knit and sew. So I guess I’m domestic in an upper class Victorian kinda way.
- I dislike soaps, but you can bet I watched the reality game show Who Wants To Be A Superhero? I also love Jeopardy.
- I was in a sorority in college (go AEPhi!) but we were probably the most unpopular sorority on campus. We were the Omega Mu’s of the real world. Our common phrase? “I never thought I’d join a sorority…”
- I’ve never been what you’d call “popular”. At the same time, in those few fleeting moments of my life when I was at my closest to being popular, I can tell you I found it boring. To be popular felt so bland and vanilla – I didn’t like trying to hide my weirder quirks to please everyone.
I know I’m not alone here, so let your weird flag fly – what are your quirks or odd interests?